Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook. Even if you wouldn't normally consider cooking a cake from a mix, this is a great example of how to adjust regular recipes to add more nutrition. I have not tried this yet, but am posting to share.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 18 ounces yellow cake mix, any brand
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 6 ounces nonfat yogurt (lemon, banana, or vanilla flavored)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray your cakepan with non-stick spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into the cake pan. Bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Chocolate cake variation: Use a chocolate cake mix with plain or vanilla yogurt.
This is from Jessica Seinfield's Cookbook, as I got it out of the library. My friend makes this cake and its wonderful. I just wonder if Jessica actually makes this cake because the instructions are terrible. It says grease a 9 inch cake pan, it should say TWO. It should also say divide batter evenly between two cake pans. If you make this as instructed with only one 9 inch pan, you get an awful mess and a 3 year old crying because their birthday cake is ruined because as bubbles over the edge. Someone should have tested these recipes prior to publishing the book!
Definitely make this in TWO 9-inch cake pans! It turns out quite nicely. I couldn't taste any pumpkin at all. It does make the box cake mix slightly more dense but it still tastes good. We topped this with chocolate frosting. Delicious!
This is my daughters favorite cake now. I misplaced my cookbook so I am happy to find in on line. If anyone has the orange cream cheese icing she recommends, I would love that recipe too.