Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
I adapted this recipe for one of my students who is Vegan. Surprisingly, they were a huge hit with everyone! Besides the amazing taste, they’re much healthier than most cookies.
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli makes some)
- Cream applesauce, oil, sugar and 1 T water.
- Mix in remaining 2-3 T of water and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add to applesauce mixture and mix until combined.
- If applicable, add chocolate chips last.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven 400°F and grease a cookie sheet well.
- Make approximately 24 balls (or you can do drop cookies).
- Bake for approximately 8 minutes—they should be very puffy. Be careful not to over-bake as they will become quite hard when cooled.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet, they will fall considerably due to the lack of egg.
OH MY GOD! THESE ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why this recipe doesn't have more reviews!
I'm a huuuge chocolate-cookie/moist-fudgey-brownie addict! You won't believe that these are vegan! They taste sooo DELICIOUS!
Here are the few additions I added to the recipe:
To the *dry mix* I added:
1 tsp baking power
2 packs of vanilla pudding mix (I made sure they were vegan)
1 tsp cinnamon
To the *wet mix* I added:
1 tsp vanilla
I also incorporated a lot of dark chocolate chips! And instead of pressing down the rolled balls into flattened cookie shapes, I left them as balls and baked them that way. When they came out of the oven they were super soft and moist/gooey inside. Once cooled, they hardened. SO DELISH!
These are so simple yet so addicting!! They only take about 5 minutes to make and not that long to bake. The apple sauce is an amazing egg replacement and all you taste is chocolate :)
I made an account just to review these, they are delicious! I followed the recipe exactly, and I had no problem with it. The only thing is, they are a little too "gooey" for my preference. I like a little crunch to my cookies..so next time I might try baking for 10 minutes instead. Thank you for the wonderful and easy vegan cookie recipe! Definitely satisfies a chocolate craving. (: