Recipe by DreamoBway
This is a recipe I adapted from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook about sneaking healthy food into recipes. It uses pureed chickpeas to thicken the cheese sauce as opposed to butter and flour. It comes together in a flash and is adaptable to many different diets. I serve it over gluten free pasta.
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
This is a good way to have a healthier version of mac and cheese. I used whole wheat pasta and though it tasted good, visually it was kind of monochromatic. Next time I might add some grated carrots and a few peas for color. Also, I like a baked version and I might try baking this. Thanks for posting, made for ZWT #7.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree milk and beans together in a blender or food processor.
- Add to a greased pot.
- Cook 1-2 minutes over medium heat until mixture is creamy.
- Add cheese and cook until melted and sauce has slightly thickened.
- Add spices.
- Stir until combined.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.