Recipe by Sweets Princess
I found this recipe on the internet as a last minute option to try to impress my mom for Thanksgiving and it worked! I made this and the Disappearing Pumpkin Pie and they were gone by the end of the night. I tweaked it a little and used a store bought pie crust but these recipes will stay as a tradition in my holiday dinners!
- 4 cups sliced cameo apples or 4 cups honeycrisp apples
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar, for filling
- sugar, a pinch or two for the crust
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pastry dough, for 2 crust pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix apples, flour, 1 cup sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice.
- Turn into deep baking dish lined with pastry dough, dot top of mixture with butter.
- Wet edges of bottom crust with cold water. Cut second crust into strips and weave on top of pie. Or you can just lay the strips in two layers placing one strip leaving a space and then placing another strip from left to right on the pie (working with the pie in front of you, not rotating it). Then for the second layer starting at the bottom of the pie, place a strip then skip a space and put another strip and so on until it looks like latticework or basketweave. Seal edges of pie and flute if desired.
- Sprinkle top of pie with sugar.
- Bake in 450 degree ove for 10 minutes, then reduce heat and bake at 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender.