Karen in MA's Note:
I saw this on Oprah - I haven't tried them yet, but I was intrigued and wanted to save it here. From the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld Preparation time does not include puree making time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (or panko)
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup broccoli or 1 cup spinach or 1 cup sweet potatoes or 1 cup beet, puree
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken tenders, rinsed, dried and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, Parmesan, paprika, garlic and onion powder on the paper or foil and mix well with your fingers.
- 2In a shallow bowl, mix the vegetable puree and egg with a fork and set the bowl next to the breadcrumb mixture.
- 3Sprinkle the chicken chunks with the salt. Dip the chunks into the egg mixture and then toss them in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.
- 4Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil.
- 5Place the chicken nuggets in the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook until crisp and golden on one side, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Turn and cook until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over, 4 to 5 minutes longer. (Cut through a piece to check that it's cooked through.) Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deceptively Delicious Chicken Nuggets (With Veggie Puree)
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.9
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 119.8 mg
- Sodium 413.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat breadcrumbs