Karen in MA's Note:
I saw this on Oprah - I haven't tried them yet, but I was intrigued and wanted to save it here. From the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld Preparation time does not include puree making time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (or panko)
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup broccoli or 1 cup spinach or 1 cup sweet potatoes or 1 cup beet, puree
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken tenders, rinsed, dried and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, Parmesan, paprika, garlic and onion powder on the paper or foil and mix well with your fingers.
- 2In a shallow bowl, mix the vegetable puree and egg with a fork and set the bowl next to the breadcrumb mixture.
- 3Sprinkle the chicken chunks with the salt. Dip the chunks into the egg mixture and then toss them in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.
- 4Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil.
- 5Place the chicken nuggets in the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook until crisp and golden on one side, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Turn and cook until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over, 4 to 5 minutes longer. (Cut through a piece to check that it's cooked through.) Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deceptively Delicious Chicken Nuggets (With Veggie Puree)
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.9
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 119.8 mg
- Sodium 413.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat breadcrumbs