Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Veggie Soup is usually not thought of as decadent, but this one is so rich, flavorful, and delectable that the name is perfect! This is a wonderful, healthy, filling, low-cal, and savory veggie soup, one that is perfect for the South Beach Diet (or any other low carb diet). I like to make up a big batch on the weekend, and then freeze some for both one weeknight dinner and a lunch or two during the week. I have a pot simmering right now, and I can't wait to dig into it. This recipe was found on a South Beach Recipe Site, and then slighly modifed by me, in an effort to perfect it to our preferance. Feel free to experiment with the spices (or even the veggies) -this just happens to be the way we like it!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 5 ounces frozen spinach (thawed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with mild green chiles
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canplain diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and saute for 4 minutes.
- Halfway through the saute time, add mustard seeds and celery salt to the onions.
- Add celery and saute for 1-2 mins, until tender.
- Add chicken broth, water, tomatoes, and beef bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low and add spinach, green beans, zucchini, oregano, basil, lemon pepper, and seasoned salt.
- Stir well.
- Simmer for 40 mins (or longer, for more flavor).
- Serve with sprinkled Parmesan Cheese.
This was good - I loved using all the fresh veggies available right now. I used 2 chopped fresh tomatoes & a can of green chiles instead of the canned tomatoes, and I added some fresh sliced mushrooms when I added the celery. It needed about a cup more chicken broth - but I liked that it was SO full of veggies. Thank you :)