Recipe by Helping Hands
Veggie Soup is usually not thought of as decadent, but this one is so rich, flavorful, and delectable that the name is perfect! This is a wonderful, healthy, filling, low-cal, and savory veggie soup, one that is perfect for the South Beach Diet (or any other low carb diet). I like to make up a big batch on the weekend, and then freeze some for both one weeknight dinner and a lunch or two during the week. I have a pot simmering right now, and I can't wait to dig into it. This recipe was found on a South Beach Recipe Site, and then slighly modifed by me, in an effort to perfect it to our preferance. Feel free to experiment with the spices (or even the veggies) -this just happens to be the way we like it!
Top Review by newspapergal
This was good - I loved using all the fresh veggies available right now. I used 2 chopped fresh tomatoes & a can of green chiles instead of the canned tomatoes, and I added some fresh sliced mushrooms when I added the celery. It needed about a cup more chicken broth - but I liked that it was SO full of veggies. Thank you :)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 5 ounces frozen spinach (thawed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with mild green chiles
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canplain diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and saute for 4 minutes.
- Halfway through the saute time, add mustard seeds and celery salt to the onions.
- Add celery and saute for 1-2 mins, until tender.
- Add chicken broth, water, tomatoes, and beef bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low and add spinach, green beans, zucchini, oregano, basil, lemon pepper, and seasoned salt.
- Stir well.
- Simmer for 40 mins (or longer, for more flavor).
- Serve with sprinkled Parmesan Cheese.