1/1 Photo of Decadent Toffee Brownies
It's the muscovado sugar that gives these brownies its decadent treacle flavor. I've made them while in England and shared them with the teachers of modern languages (I've taught German in Kingston, near London). They were a big hit! I've never made them in Switzerland so far, as it is hard or even impossible to purchase muscovado sugar. I may try to replace the muscovado sugar with brown sugar, but I know it won't be the same. Maybe I should just wait until I go to England again...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/gas 3/fan 140°C Butter and base-line a shallow 23cm/9in square cake tin.
- 2Melt the chocolate and butter together (you can do this in the microwave, it takes about 2 minutes), then stir well and cool slightly.
- 3Whisk the eggs until pale then whisk in the sugar until thick and glossy and well combined. Gently fold in the melted chocolate mixture, then sift in the flour and baking powder and gently stir until smooth.
- 4Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Test by inserting a wooden cocktail stick into the middle - there should be a few moist crumbs sticking to it. The mixture will still be soft in the centre, but will firm up on cooling.
- 5Cool in the tin on a wire rack for at least 1 hour - if you can resist the temptation to eat them ;)-then cut into 16 squares and finish cooling on the rack.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Toffee Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (1090 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.3
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.1 mg
- Sodium 159.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 4.6 g