1/4 Photos of Decadent Pumpkin Pie Belgian Waffles
These Belgian waffles may never replace pumpkin pie at a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but they’ll give tradition a good race. Like pumpkin pie, they are comforting, custardy and filling. They're made with the same spices used for pumpkin pie along with sour cream for smoothness; the dark rum is there for extra flavor and a little mystery. Cooking time is however long your waffle iron takes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter
- 236.59 ml pumpkin puree (you can use canned puree)
- 118.29 ml dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 6.16 ml ground cinnamon
- 6.16 ml fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 0.59 ml ground cloves
- 0.59 ml nutmeg, freshly grated
- 0.25 ml salt
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml double-acting baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml milk
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 29.58 ml dark rum
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
- 1Preheat a waffle iron.
- 2If you want to hold the finished waffles until serving time, preheat an oven to 200°F (93°C).
- 3Melt the butter, set aside.
- 4In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, brown and granulated sugars, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- 5Using a rubber spatula, or handheld electric mixer, mix together well.
- 6Stir in the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- 7The mixture will be thick and a little lumpy.
- 8Don’t try to smooth it out; just mix until the ingredients are incorporated.
- 9In another bowl, beat together the milk, sour cream, eggs, rum and vanilla.
- 10Add the liquid ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and stir until combined.
- 11Fold in the melted butter.
- 12Whether or not your waffle iron’s grids are well seasoned or made of a nonstick material, it is best to lightly butter or spray the grids for these waffles because the batter is quite sticky.
- 13Brush or spray the grids again only if subsequent waffles stick.
- 14Spoon out 2/3 to 3/4 cup of batter for a Belgian waffle iron (or the amount recommended by the manufacturer’s instructions) onto the hot iron.
- 15Use a metal spatula or wooden spoon to spread the batter evenly over the grids. Close the lid and bake until golden.
- 16If the waffle is hard to remove from the iron, peel it off gently and carefully. Serve immediately or keep the waffles, in a single layer, on a rack in the preheated oven while you make the rest.
- 17Serving: Serve these warm and golden, one to a diner, topped with vanilla ice cream and maple syrup. They’re great with a cup of hot or cold cider.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Pumpkin Pie Belgian Waffles
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.6
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 154.6 mg
- Sodium 659.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 40.9 g
- Protein 10.5 g