Recipe by JT'sMom
This Pineapple Upside-down Cake used to grace the table every Easter at Grandma’s. My sister gave me the recipe it is from "The Silver Palate". It is truly decadent garnished with fresh whipped cream. In addition to the pecans, maraschino cherries can be used as well. **COOKS NOTE: The baking time in The Silver Palate recipe states 30 - 35 minutes, however those who have reviewed the cake have had to bake it for 60 minutes. My sister always baked this cake and I made it public before baking it myself. As I went to bake it, I realized my pan was too small so I need to purchase a 9 1/2 inch pan.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons dark rum, divided (if desired, you may add 1 more tablespoon rum in step # 4)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in juice, drained, reserving 1/2 cup of juice
- 12 -15 pecan halves
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted margarine, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter and pour into the bottom of a 9 ½-inch spring-form pan. (Place the pan on foil or parchment paper to catch any leaks).
- Press the brown sugar evenly over the butter.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of rum.
- Arrange 7 pineapple slices over the brown sugar.
- Fill in the spaces with the pecan halves.
- In a large bowl, cream the margarine and granulated sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Puree the remaining 3 pineapple slices with the remaining 1 tablespoon rum; beat this into the margarine mixture until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, and salt together.
- Beat dry ingredients into the margarine mixture alternately with the the 1/2 cup of reserved pineapple juice. Thoroughly combine after each addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour the cake batter over the pineapple slices in the spring-form pan.
- Bake until the center of the cake springs back when gently touched, 50 - 60 minutes, Test your cake after 30 – 35 minutes. **See COOKS NOTES in the recipe description.**.
- While the cake is still hot, remove the side of the pan. Invert the cake onto a platter and remove the pan bottom.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired.