1/2 Photos of Decadent Pineapple Rum Upside-Down Cake
1 hr 20 mins
This Pineapple Upside-down Cake used to grace the table every Easter at Grandma’s. My sister gave me the recipe it is from "The Silver Palate". It is truly decadent garnished with fresh whipped cream. In addition to the pecans, maraschino cherries can be used as well. **COOKS NOTE: The baking time in The Silver Palate recipe states 30 - 35 minutes, however those who have reviewed the cake have had to bake it for 60 minutes. My sister always baked this cake and I made it public before baking it myself. As I went to bake it, I realized my pan was too small so I need to purchase a 9 1/2 inch pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons dark rum, divided (if desired, you may add 1 more tablespoon rum in step # 4)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in juice, drained, reserving 1/2 cup of juice
- 12 -15 pecan halves
- 1/2 cup unsalted margarine, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Melt butter and pour into the bottom of a 9 ½-inch spring-form pan. (Place the pan on foil or parchment paper to catch any leaks).
- 3Press the brown sugar evenly over the butter.
- 4Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of rum.
- 5Arrange 7 pineapple slices over the brown sugar.
- 6Fill in the spaces with the pecan halves.
- 7In a large bowl, cream the margarine and granulated sugar.
- 8Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- 9Beat in the vanilla.
- 10Puree the remaining 3 pineapple slices with the remaining 1 tablespoon rum; beat this into the margarine mixture until thoroughly combined.
- 11In a separate bowl, sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, and salt together.
- 12Beat dry ingredients into the margarine mixture alternately with the the 1/2 cup of reserved pineapple juice. Thoroughly combine after each addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- 13Pour the cake batter over the pineapple slices in the spring-form pan.
- 14Bake until the center of the cake springs back when gently touched, 50 - 60 minutes, Test your cake after 30 – 35 minutes. **See COOKS NOTES in the recipe description.**.
- 15While the cake is still hot, remove the side of the pan. Invert the cake onto a platter and remove the pan bottom.
- 16Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
- 17Top with whipped cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Pineapple Rum Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.1
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.7 mg
- Sodium 407.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 42.5 g
- Protein 5.4 g