Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A rich side dish, ideally prepared with fresh peas and baby onions. Creamy with a lemony tang, a wonderful side dish, nice enough to eat by themselves! From The Inspired Vegetarian
- Peel the onions, and halve them if necessary. (If quite large).
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan, and fry the onions for 5 - 6 minutes over a moderate heat, until they begin to be flecked with brown.
- Add the peas, and stirfry for a few minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water, and bring to the boil.
- Partially cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until both the peas and the onions are tender.
- (Frozen peas will cook more quickly).
- There should be a thin layer of water on the base of the pan, add a little more water if necessary, or if there is too much liquid, remove the lid, and increase the heat until the liquid is reduced.
- Using a small whisk, blend the cream with the flour.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the combined cream and flour, parsley, and seasoning to taste.
- Cook over a gentle heat for about 3 - 4 minutes, until the sauce is thick.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, add the lemon juice to sharpen, if liked.
What a great recipe, it was so quick and easy to produce the perfect peas and cream. The flavor and textures were outstanding. Not a single pea was left after dinner. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe Karen Elizabeth. Made for Culinary Quest 2014 - Suitcase Gourmets.
Nice side dish. Easy and tasty. Thanks for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.
Yumm, this went perfectly with with tonight's salmon. Loved the lemon addition. It was fresh and creamy and delicious. I used pearl onions in half the amount ask for. Made for Culinary Quest, 2014 but I'll surely be making these again.