Recipe by death_by_parsnip
This is my favorite ice cream recipe -- rich and decadent, a true comfort food. Most soy ice cream recipes are low-fat, but not this one! It can also be made with regular milk, although I have never tried it.
Top Review by Gnat B. Myers
I took The Ginger's advice and increased the PB to 1/2 cup and the sugar to 3/4 cup and it was amazing. This would make a great filling for frozen peanut butter pie. I'm going to try it with a chocolate cookie crust. Thanks!
- 2 1⁄3 cups soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter chips (optional) or 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, soy milk, and peanut butter.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently, and boil whisking constantly for one minute; remove from heat.
- Whisk several large spoonfuls of hot milk mixture into egg, then whisk egg back into saucepan of hot milk.
- Return saucepan to heat and cook over medium flame, whisking constantly, until mixture returns to a boil. It will have thickened slightly.
- Refrigerate until cold (I first cool by carefully putting the pan into a sinkful of cold water). The cooking time does not take the cooling time into account.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Add chips towards the end of the freezing process.