Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this one in the local paper last year, lost it for awhile, and I'm now posting it for safekeeping. This is a little different from the other versions posted here -- no honey, no instant hot cocoa mix, and the chocolate flavor is doubled with cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips. If you are one for sweets with a spicy kick, you can use "The Heat is On" flavor from Peanut Butter and Co in place of the regular peanut butter.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (baking cocoa)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- mini marshmallows (optional) or chopped peanut butter cup, for garnish (optional)
- Combine milk, peanut butter, sugar and cocoa powder in the blender. Puree until very smooth, then transfer to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and continue heating, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth (about 4-5 minutes).
- Ladle into mugs.
- Garnish with marshmallows or chopped candies, if desired.
Outstanding. I made a single mug of this delicious treat last evening minus the toppings. I subbed Splenda for the sugar but it was still far from sugar free, lol. Adams smooth P.B. worked perfectly. Very rich and could almost be a meal all by it's self. Love the use of bittersweet chocolate. Simply a delight. Made for Sweet December event.
I really enjoyed this rich, sweet, decadent hot chocolate. I love peanut butter and chocolate together, its a win win combination for me. I did scale the recipe back for one and didn't use all the sugar listed. I only had colored marshmallows so went with them, didn't hurt the drink at all. Thank you so much for sharing. Made for Sweet December 2014.
This is incredibly rich, a chocolate peanut butter pudding in a mug! I used soy milk and scaled the recipe down to one serving, using only 1 teaspoon of sugar for sweetening because I don't like it sweet. This was hot semi-liquid peanut butter cup heaven! Thanks for sharing.<br/>Made for Sweet December Tag Game.