Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 mins
I'm not just an 80's fanatic, I'm also a bigtime gaming dork! I was playing the Quest For Glory 2 VGA remake and there's different foods you can buy. One of them is bread, which is described as being slowly toasted with olive oil, honey, and spices. That sounded delicious so I decided to make my own! This is a nice appetizer that would be a perfect accompaniment to falafel, cucumber salad, and/or stuffed grape leaves. A nice breakfast toast with a cup of mint tea! I used a Whole Foods 12" baguette that I cut into "sandwich size" pieces. The honey is approximated; I just sqooshed some on. The trick in making this bread taste great and come out the right way is all in the method rather than the ingredients :)
- 1 baguette, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons honey (approx)
- 1 pinch cardamom (one teeny shake)
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cumin (yes, I have a spoon that size!)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- Mix the dry spices together in a small dish.
- Cut the bread into 4 pieces as if you were making two 6" sandwiches.
- Measure out the olive oil into another small dish-- with a pastry or BBQ brush, brush all the olive oil onto the pieces of bread right side up (about 1 tablespoon for each slice.).
- Squoosh some honey generously onto each piece of bread in a horizontal line, roughly 1 teaspoon. Use the BBQ brush to spread and mix the honey into the breads.
- With your thumb and forefingers, pinch the spice mix and spread onto all the pieces of bread.
- Put the breads on a cookie sheet and toast for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown on top-- I use my toaster/convection oven.
This toast was really good! I probably used a little more honey than called for because I couldn't get it to spread very thinly. I really liked the flavor of the mint and cumin with the honey and olive oil. I baked my toasts at 450 for about 4 minutes to brown them up, then broiled for a few seconds to get the top crispy. Yum - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for My-3-Chefs 2012