Recipe by Memily Giraffe
From the New York Times, circa 2006. Not a low calorie meal (can any great mac and cheese dish ever be?)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese (not lowfat)
- 2 cups milk (not skim)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together in a bowl using a whisk. Reserve ¼ cup grated cheddar for topping. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into a buttered 9-inch baking pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover pan, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 C cheddar cheese and dot with butter. Bake 30 minutes more uncovered, til brown on top. Let cool ~ 15 minutes. Enjoy!