Prep 10 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from March 1991 Southern Living and was submitted by Mary Andrew, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, I used to make it for my dad's birthday when he was alive. My daughter requested it for her birthday this year and I really had to search for the 1991 Annual Recipes book.
- 1 1⁄4 cups crumbled cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 6 (1 1/2 ounce) english toffee-flavored candy bars, crushed (like Heath or Skor)
- 1 quart coffee ice cream, softened
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Combine cookie crumbs and butter, mixing well. Press crumb mixture firmly over bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Spread 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce over crust, leaving a 1 inch border; freeze until set. Spread chocolate ice cream over Caramel Sauce; freeze until firm.
- Combine vanilla ice cream and crushed candy bars. Spread mixture over chocolate ice cream; freeze until firm. Spread 1 cup Chocolate Sauce over vanilla ice cream; freeze until set. Spread coffee ice cream over Chocolate Sauce. Cover tightly, and freeze at least 8 hours. Remove dessert from freezer 10 minutes before serving; remove sides of springform pan, and slice dessert into wedges. Serve with remaining sauces. Yield: 12 to 14 servings.
- Caramel Sauce.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, salt, and 3/4 cup half-and-half in a heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Do not boil. Combine cornstarch and reamining 1/4 cup half-and-half; gradually stir into brown sugar mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Stir in vanilla. Yield: 2 cups.
- Chocolate Sauce.
- Combine chocolate morsels and evaporated milk in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate morsels melt. Stir in powdered sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Yield: 2 cups.