It was a cold blustery wet day when I saw this in my local paper and I thought "I just have to make some to cheer me up" :) I am so glad I did. You can if you like add a strip of orange peel to the milk as it heats or dissolve the sugar in some strong coffee instead of water for a change. Also you can add some liqueur to the milk just before serving. You can also use soy milk or almond milk for those that are lactose intolerant. To be even more decadent top with a teaspoon of whipped cream when serving. Enjoy....I know I did :)
- Pour the milk into a heavy bottomed deep small saucepan.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water and add to the milk.
- Add the chocolate and whisk over gentle medium heat until the chocolate is melted and the milk is hot but not boiling.Be careful because you don't want to burn the chocolate.
- Remove from heat and with a stick blender froth the milk. (This is why you need a deep pot!).
- This will give the milk a smooth texture and prevent a skin forming.
- Pour into small cups or mugs and top with whipped cream for a truly decadent chocolate 'fix' :).