Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This is a wonderful treat to have when you are craving chocolate. It's a ganache filling and absolutely yummy. Make or buy an artisan bread, or a challah, or a good store-bought one.
- 10 slices firm-textured bread
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces chocolate (bittersweet or semisweet, broken or chopped into small pieces--NOT unsweetened baking chocolate)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pan, bring the cream to a simmer and stir in chocolate; continue to stir till the mixture is shiny and smooth--heating briefly if necessary to melt the chocolate completely.
- Let cool till thickened.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of the chocolate onto the unbuttered side of 5 of the slices, leaving a bit around the edges uncoated.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Grill over medium heat till they are golden brown on both sides.
- NOTE: Any extra filling may be store in he refrigerator, covered, for another time; try it reheaded and serve over ice cream if you have any left.