Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this in a local paper. So rich and decadent. Use icing to make crosses, to decorate brownies for Easter. Although these are great anytime of the year, just watch your waistline though!
- 240 g dark chocolate (top quality)
- 250 g butter
- 120 g flour
- 45 g cocoa powder (good quality)
- 360 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 140 g chocolate chips (good quality)
- 80 g pecans (optional) or 80 g walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Line the base of a brownie baking tin with baking paper.
- Microwave 180g of the chocolate and the butter on high for about 2 minutes (microwaves varyin wattage, so stir and check to prevent burning). Stir and set aside.
- Mix flour and cocoa powder together and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla until pale and creamy. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Pour the cool chocolate and butter mix over the egg~sugar mix and gently fold together. Do not overmix. Use a sieve to dust flour and cocoa mix over chocolate and egg mix and again gently fold. Again do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips/chunks and nuts (if using) evenly through the mix.
- Pour mix into prepared tin, making sure of even spread of chocolate chunks and bake for about 25-30 minutes. Gently shake the tin and if it has a slight wobble, but not a fluid wobble, the brownie is cooked. If not, bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before removing, slice into squares.
- * To make crossed on your brownies, make a batch of royal icing by mixing 1 egg white with 1 1/4 cups pure icing sugar and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice. Put into a snap lock bag, snip a corner and start piping your crosses. Piping crosses before slicing makes it easier.
Made for the DS to take to his music recreation group and they found it outstanding with a lot of oohs and ahs. I made in an 8x8 pan at baked at 170c fan forced and it took 50 minutes to get to the wobbly stage, I used a mix of dark and milk chocolate and walnuts and a mix of dark and white chocolate chips. When I added the broken up 60 grams of chocolate (chunks) I also added the chocolate chips and the nuts. Thank you Tisme, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 11.