Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This is a spectacular, decadent dessert. This is very similar to the English Truffle except that it is done with a wonderful chocolate mouse, Chocolate Genoise cake, strawberries, raspberry jam and a splash of brandy. This recipe needs chilling time, so plan on plenty of time to play
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 5 ounces butter, melted
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup hot coffee, strong
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- Note: This recipe needs to be assembled 8 - 24 hours ahead of time.
- Chocolate Genoise: Add eggs to a bowl and beat for 5 minutes. Add slowly, 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Beat well. Fold in the sifted flour and cocoa powder. Fold the melted butter in, a little at a time.
- Butter and flour a 8" square pan. Pour the batter into pan and bake at 350 oven for 20 minutes. Cool and cut into small pieces. Set aside the chocolate genoise.
- Mousse: In a food processor, blend chocolate chips with 1/3 cup hot coffee. (Note: the coffee needs to be hot enough to melt the chocolate chips) Add 3 egg yolks, one at a time, then add 1/4 cup brady; blend well.
- With a mix master, beat egg whites until stiff and fold them into chocolate mixture. Set aside the mousse.
- Whipping Cream: Whip the whipping cream and set aside.
- To Assemble: In a large glass bowl, layer the chocolate genoise pieces. Sprinkle with a little brandy. Dot the jam over the chocolate cake; then sprinkle the strawberries over the mixture, then chocolate mousse, finishing up with the whipping cream.
- Repeat sequence, ending with the last of the cake and top with the last of the whipping cream.
- Garnish with chocolate curls or grated chocolate. Chill.