1/4 Photos of Decadent Chocolate Mousse Bars
4 hrs 40 mins
I made these for a company bake-off and won first prize. This is time consuming, but is one of the most fabulous chocolate desserts I have ever made! It can be made with or without the ganache topping, but I strongly suggest that you make it totally awesome by adding the ganche! Don't eat too many -- they are rich!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 354.88 ml milk chocolate chips
- 236.59 ml peanut butter, creamy
- 1182.95 ml corn flakes, crushed lightly
- 177.44 ml butter
- 650.62 ml confectioners' sugar
- 59.14 ml cocoa powder
- 141.74 g semisweet chocolate (I used Baker's 1 oz. squares)
- 4 egg yolks (pasteurized if available)
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
- 1To make crust:.
- 2Line a 9 x 13" cake pan with parchment paper.
- 3Melt milk chocolate in a double boiler.
- 4Stir peanut butter into melted chocolate. Place crushed corn flakes in a bowl and stir chocolate/peanut butter mixture over them, mixing well.
- 5Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and cool in refrigerator.
- 6To make Mousse:.
- 7Melt semisweet chocolate in a double boiler. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer fitted with a paddle, beating until light and fluffy.
- 8Add sifted cocoa powder and mix well. Scrape down bowl and add chocolate.
- 9Continue mixing and add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 10Fold in heavy cream that has been beaten to firm peak.
- 11Mix well to incorporate, leaving no white streaks in the chocolate.
- 12Spread mousse over crust.
- 13Chill about 2 hours, until set. Cut into desired size bars with a sharp knife dipped in hot water. (1 x 4-1/2 " cuts will yield about 2 dozen bars).
- 14Place bars on a cooling rack that has been placed over a clean baking sheet. (Bars may be completed at this time or coated with ganache).
- 15If bars are soft, place rack in freezer until ganache is ready.
- 16To make ganache:.
- 17Melt chocolate in double boiler.
- 18Mix sugar and heavy cream in a small saucepan and bring mixture to a slow boil over low heat(be careful not to scorch the cream).
- 19Pour cream over chocolate and stir with a whisk to incorporate, making sure all the chocolate is melted.
- 20Strain mixture to remove any pieces of unmelted chocolate.
- 21Let cool for about 1 hour.
- 22Pour ganache over firm bars to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm ganache.
- 23The bars should be stored in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Chocolate Mousse Bars
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.1
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 99.6 mg
- Sodium 171.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 7.8 g