Recipe by Ridgely
Chunks of chocolate cake mixed with chocolate ganache pressed into a springform pan, chilled, unmolded, and then coated with more ganache. To die for! The interesting way this cake is made is what drew my attention to it. I had to try it! I was not dissapointed!! A heart shaped insert for the springform pan will also make this a great Valentines dessert. I got this recipe from busycooks.about.com. Mmmm..
- 1 package two layer devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 16 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate, chopped (can use good quality choc. chips)
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, using water, oil and egg measurements above.
- Bake in two greased and floured 8" round pans at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Melt chocolate in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Heat cream and butter together in a large saucepan until it boils.
- Pour cream over chocolate and beat with wire whisk until smooth. Cool 20 minutes.
- Line 9" springform pan with waxed paper. Cut cooled cake into cubes. Place cake cubes in large mixer bowl.
- Pour 1-1/3 cups ganache over the cake cubes and mix on low speed with an electric mixture until texture is like thick fudge. Spread and press evenly in prepared pan, smoothing top. Freeze for one hour.
- Unmold cake, place on serving plate, remove waxed paper, and coat cake on the top and sides with remaining chocolate ganache. Store in refrigerator. 16-20 servings.