Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chunks of chocolate cake mixed with chocolate ganache pressed into a springform pan, chilled, unmolded, and then coated with more ganache. To die for! The interesting way this cake is made is what drew my attention to it. I had to try it! I was not dissapointed!! A heart shaped insert for the springform pan will also make this a great Valentines dessert. I got this recipe from busycooks.about.com. Mmmm..
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, using water, oil and egg measurements above.
- Bake in two greased and floured 8" round pans at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Melt chocolate in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Heat cream and butter together in a large saucepan until it boils.
- Pour cream over chocolate and beat with wire whisk until smooth. Cool 20 minutes.
- Line 9" springform pan with waxed paper. Cut cooled cake into cubes. Place cake cubes in large mixer bowl.
- Pour 1-1/3 cups ganache over the cake cubes and mix on low speed with an electric mixture until texture is like thick fudge. Spread and press evenly in prepared pan, smoothing top. Freeze for one hour.
- Unmold cake, place on serving plate, remove waxed paper, and coat cake on the top and sides with remaining chocolate ganache. Store in refrigerator. 16-20 servings.
I thought this was recipe was excellent! i have used many times, and plan to use it again soon. My friends love it!
While this is indeed very tasty and chocolate-y, it also has an unexpected grainy feel when you eat it. Also, I think you are only supposed to put 1 of the cake layers in--I put both in and ended up having to make more ganache to get the cake to the right consistency. Will probably not make again.