Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This uses a loaf of chocolate bread. You can make your own (some great recipes on this site) or hopefully find some in specialty bakeries. In Maine, there is a company called "When Pigs Fly" that makes a chocolate sourdough bread that is excellent in this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large bowl, beat eggs; add sweetened condensed milk, cherries, water, butter, and vanilla.
- Stir in bread and dried cherries, moistening completely.
- Turn into buttered 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool.
- Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.