1/3 Photos of Decadent Chocolate Cake With Ganache
1 hr 5 mins
This gorgeous layer cake comes from a Taste of Home magazine. The cake is moist and dense with a rich ganache filling. Enjoy it with alone or with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream, heavy
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water; set aside.
- 2In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Beat in vanilla.
- 5Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 6Pour into three greased and floured 9" round baking pans.
- 7Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 8Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 9For Ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl.
- 10In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, bring cream and sugar to a boil.
- 11Pour over chocolate; whisk gently until smooth.
- 12Refrigerate for 35-45 minutes or until ganache begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- 13For frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy.
- 14Add confectioners sugar, cocoa, milk, and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- 15Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup of frosting.
- 16Top with second layer and one cup ganache and sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds.
- 17Top with third layer, frost top and sides of cake.
- 18Warm ganache until pourable; pour over cake, allowing some to drape down the sides.
- 19Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- 20Refrigerate until serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Chocolate Cake With Ganache
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1379.8
- Calories from Fat 905
- Total Fat 100.6 g
- Saturated Fat 60.5 g
- Cholesterol 171.2 mg
- Sodium 655.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 142.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.8 g
- Sugars 80.3 g
- Protein 23.1 g