Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
This gorgeous layer cake comes from a Taste of Home magazine. The cake is moist and dense with a rich ganache filling. Enjoy it with alone or with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream, heavy
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9" round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For Ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl.
- In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, bring cream and sugar to a boil.
- Pour over chocolate; whisk gently until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 35-45 minutes or until ganache begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy.
- Add confectioners sugar, cocoa, milk, and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup of frosting.
- Top with second layer and one cup ganache and sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds.
- Top with third layer, frost top and sides of cake.
- Warm ganache until pourable; pour over cake, allowing some to drape down the sides.
- Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Refrigerate until serving.
The cake was good, but everyone agreed way too much chocolate.
I've died and gone to chocolate heaven!!!!! I've been craving something chocolatey for a couple days now and decided to make this recipe. I am so glad I did. One of the best cakes I have ever made and tasted!!!! Thanks for an awesome recipe!!!!
My family loved this cake! but i personally dint want to add nuts...i used lesser sugar for the frosting and the cake....i made a cake for 6 servings....:)