1 hr 35 mins
I baked this cake a few years ago for my boyfriend's birthday. It turned out quite well. The raspberry Chambourd was a very nice flavor addition to the cake. I came across this recipe when watching Tyler Florence on the Food Network. You can experiment with different types of chocolate if you want. I used milk chocolate for the icing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate or 3 1/2 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- chambourd raspberry liqueur, for drizzling
Chocolate Chip Butter Cream
- 1Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Cake: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- 3In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- 4Add the cooled chocolate and vanilla and beat for 3 minutes to incorporate.
- 5Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- 6Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for another 3 minutes.
- 7Gradually mix in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the cold water.
- 8Beat for 1 minute after each addition to incorporate the ingredients.
- 9Mix until the batter is smooth.
- 10Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- 11Cut 2 circles of parchment paper to fit the pan bottoms and place them inside the pans; then spray the paper for added non-stick insurance.
- 12Note: This really is crucial to ensure nice easy removal from the pan.
- 13Pour batter into the prepared pans and smooth the surface with a spatula; the pans should be 2/3 full.
- 14Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 15The cake is cooked when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when touched.
- 16Leave to cool for 40 minutes.
- 17Turn the cakes out of the pans and remove the paper.
- 18Drizzle them with a few tablespoons of Chambourd.
- 19Icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer, dissolve the sugar and water at low speed.
- 20Beat in the dark chocolate and vanilla.
- 21Add butter gradually in small bits.
- 22Mix until everything is completely incorporated.
- 23Using a spatula, fold in the chopped chocolate and give a final quick spin.
- 24Finishing: With a metal spatula, spread 1/2 cup butter cream on top 1 of the layers.
- 25Start in the center and work your way out.
- 26Carefully place the second layer on top.
- 27Smooth the sides with butter cream, then spread the rest over the top so that the cake is completely covered.
- 28Refrigerate for 5 minutes before decorating or cutting.
- 29With a large knife scrape some shavings from a block of dark chocolate.
- 30Scatter shavings over cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Chocolate Cake W/Raspberry Liqueur
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1177.3
- Calories from Fat 462
- Total Fat 51.4 g
- Saturated Fat 31.5 g
- Cholesterol 151.8 mg
- Sodium 741.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 126.2 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dark semi-sweet chocolate