1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Make this cake for when you want to enjoy a fine flavoured textured cake thats worth the time to make. This is not your gooey heavy extreme chocolate taste, think of it as a red velvet cake with more chocolate, a very nice cake for dainty bites, not huge mouthfuls. The cake can easily be sliced in layers and filled. Do keep an eye on the last 20-30 minutes of baking, as the edges might get dry, I tented the top loosely with foil the last 30 minutes of baking. Cake flour and chocolate extract is a must with this cake. I have made this moist dense cake on many special occasions, it is one cake that rates high on my list. Just a word of advise, if you are baking the cake in a dark metal cake pan, then lower the oven temperature to 325°F. This cake freezes well, and for some strange reason is even better after freezing, I think it must be the amount of brown sugar, so you might want to consider making this ahead, freezing and glazing it before serving. Of coarse your favorite glaze recipe can be used for this cake or use my chocolate glaze Perfect Sweet Chocolate Glaze for this.
My Private Note
bundt c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (use cake flour only)
- 3/4 cup good-quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup butter, softened (no subs)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (no subs)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon chocolate flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 large eggs, room temperature (leave out 30 minutes at room temperature before using)
- 1Do not preheat the oven.
- 2Butter and then flour a 12-cup bundt pan and shake out any excess flour.
- 3In a small bowl sift together cake flour cocoa powder and salt.
- 4In another small bowl stir together the baking soda and sour cream.
- 5In a large bowl with a heavy-duty electric mixer (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer) beat together 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter and both sugars (3 cups in all) until light and fluffy for a minimum of 10 minutes (no less than 10 minutes, this is important!).
- 6Beat in extracts and eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7With mixer at low speed, add in flour mixture and sour cream mixture alternately in batches, beating just until combined.
- 8Pour the batter into bundt pan and put it in the middle of a COLD oven.
- 9Set oven to 350°F (if using a dark metal pan set oven to 325 degrees).
- 10Bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until cake tests done (I loosely tented with foil the last 25 minutes of baking).
- 11Cool cake in pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then turn out on a rack to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Chocolate Brown Sugar Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1795 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6445.1
- Calories from Fat 2670
- Total Fat 296.6 g
- Saturated Fat 176.1 g
- Cholesterol 1919.3 mg
- Sodium 3639.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 909.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.6 g
- Sugars 622.6 g
- Protein 85.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: