Prep 2 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of my all time favorite breakfasts. It is so easy, yet so good. My husband would fix this for me when I was in a cast from my toes to my hip. It was and is wonderful! I hope you like it.
- 1 slice thick Italian bread
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- NOTE: Any bread with good texture may be used, but Italian is our favorite for this.
- Place in a greased individual casserole, one slice of bread, sliced one inch thick.
- Beat the remaining ingredients together and pour over the bread.
- Turn and pour more - use ALL the mixture for one serving.
- The liquid will pool up in the dish, but will be soaked up by the bread as it cooks.
- If desired, place on top of the bread a small amount of fruit, jam or preserves.
- Fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries are also very good.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- The bread will swell and puff to almost double in size and height and will brown slightly.
- The time is precise and this is to be served immediately.
- Source: Ridgetop Bed & Breakfast.