Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
With these hydrating beauties, bath time will be a sensational affair. Studies show that coconut oil imparts significant improvement in skin hydration and increases skin surface lipid levels.You may also substitute agave necter or mollases if you're a vegan.
- 9 tablespoons virgin coconut oil (see note)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 drops ylang ylang pure essential oils (optional)
- Since coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees F, the temperature of your oil will make a difference in the method you use. Coconut oil does not need to be refrigerated, but once you make the bonbons keep them there so that they don’t melt. You can’t start with refrigerated coconut oil because it is very hard, so start with room temperature.
- If your room temperature is above 76 degrees, the oil will be liquid—you will need to stir in the ingredients and then pour the mix into an ice cube tray, mini muffin tin, or similar receptacle. Then refrigerate until hardened, remove (you may need to briefly set the container in warm water to release the bonbons) and store in a jar in the fridge.
- If your room temperature is below 76 degrees, the coconut oil will be softly solid (as opposed to hard solid like straight from the refrigerator). You can mix the ingredients and then scoop by rounded tablespoon onto a baking sheet or plate to chill in the fridge. Once hardened, remove (you may need to set the sheet or plate in shallow warm water to release the bonbons, or line the sheet with wax paper first) and store in a jar in the fridge.
- Dissolve one or two bonbons in your bath, get soft. Makes 12 bonbons.
These were fun to make, if a little messy until the oil set, but using 1 bonbon per bath of water seemed to result in a little too much oil/heaviness and of course, the honey lent its stickiness. I made little heart bonbons, each about 1-inch across, and I'm thinking that cutting them in half and adding to a bath with maybe a 1/2 cup of epsom salts would work better for me. Great gift idea, if you can keep them cool enough to transport! Thank you for sharing, Tropical Beauty!