2 hrs 30 mins
This is my very own creation--one that I'm very proud of. What's different about it? How about a silken, creamy texture and a little extra kick?! The banana liqueur gives this pie an elegant "grown-up" flavor, and the coconut crust gives it a tropical twist. It takes a little more time to make than the average Banana Cream Pie, but it is sooo worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2-3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt (I use Kosher)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large bananas, firm and ripe
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- 1In a mixing bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, coconut and melted butter. Mix well. Press into the bottom and sides on a nine inch pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees until firm and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- 2In a stand-up mixer or a large bowl with electric beaters, whisk cornstarch, sugar and salt. Slowly beat in cream, then milk in a thin steady stream. Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- 3Transfer to a saucepan and cook over moderate heat whisking constantly and gently, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Reduce heat, stir liqueur into custard and simmer, stirring occasionally, about two minutes, or until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- 4Immediately pour into a clean bowl. Beat in the butter, a tablespoon at a time, stirring to melt before adding the next. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap and let cool until lukewarm, about an hour.
- 5Slice the bananas on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces. If desired, sprinkle lemon juice (about a tablespoon)over the bananas to prevent browning. Layer evenly in pie shell.
- 6Pour custard over bananas, covering completely. Refrigerate pie for 20 minutes.
- 7In a cold bowl, with cold beaters, beat the cream until it forms soft peaks. Slowly beat in sugar,then liqueur and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 8Spread over filling. Chill pie at least an hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Decadent Banana Cream Pie With Coconut Crust
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.9
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 28.3 g
- Cholesterol 222.2 mg
- Sodium 158.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 30.4 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: