Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour, plus
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- To make the cake: sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the butter at medium speed using an electric mixer, until creamy.
- Add in sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Beat in bananas at low speed.
- Increase speed to medium, and gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into 2 greased/floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- To make the frosting: in a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed using an electric mixer, until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended.
- Beat at high speed until smooth.
- Stir in milk and vanilla; stir in coconut.
- Spread Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
I love this recipe!!!