Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy and quick recipe that my sister and I devloped. It's definitely not in the low fat category but it sure is satisfying!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour, divided
- 4 cups half-and-half, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb crabmeat (don't skimp here..a good, canned variety comes from Phillips)
- chives, chopped (optional)
- Saute onion in the butter, over medium heat, until translucent.
- Add 2 T. of the flour to the onions, mixing well with a wooden spoon. Cook for about a minute.
- Add 3 cups of the half-and-half, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Whisk while bringing up to a boil (you can turn up the heat a bit here - just be careful not to scald the cream).
- Shake 2 T. of the flour and 1 cup of the half-and-half - using a jar with a lid. Shake until the flour is blended well.
- Add to the soup by whisking. Keep whisking until the soup thickens.
- Stir in the crab and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Ladle the soup into the bowls and garnish with snipped chives, if desired.
Made for the Agents of QUEST 2014 and served as a starter course for a family dinner, this soup was superb! 1 guest was known to have a big appetite and there were 2 teenagers, so I wanted to be sure I had enough. I also wanted to lighten it as there was a heavy meal ahead. So I expanded it and lightened it. I accomplished both by using an amt = to the cream(s) amt of my homemade lobster stock and by doubling a mixed seafood blend of crab, baby shrimp and mussels. I did omit the salt as DH is salt-restricted, but I added Old Bay Seasoning which we favor in seafood soups. The economy of Iceland relies on seafood and I plan to rely on your recipe to showcase it. Thx for sharing this tasty soup recipe w/us.
This is so delicious and so easy to make! I used green onions instead of regular onions due to dietary issues, but it didn't change the wonderful flavor! I used fresh picked lump crab meat instead of canned. Rich and creamy! Thanks for sharing....made for Best of 2014 tag game on Yuku.
REALLY like this. . .but thought it needed more seasoning. I added 1 stalk of celery and 1/4 cup of shredded carrots. Also added about 1 tbsp of Old Bay Seasoning per the others' recommendations. Lastly, added some celery seed at the end but I still feel like one more ingredient is missing. . .I will figure it out. I do truly like the soup and my hubby is going to be impressed when he comes home for dinner tonight!