Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy and quick recipe that my sister and I devloped. It's definitely not in the low fat category but it sure is satisfying!
- Saute onion in the butter, over medium heat, until translucent.
- Add 2 T. of the flour to the onions, mixing well with a wooden spoon. Cook for about a minute.
- Add 3 cups of the half-and-half, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Whisk while bringing up to a boil (you can turn up the heat a bit here - just be careful not to scald the cream).
- Shake 2 T. of the flour and 1 cup of the half-and-half - using a jar with a lid. Shake until the flour is blended well.
- Add to the soup by whisking. Keep whisking until the soup thickens.
- Stir in the crab and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Ladle the soup into the bowls and garnish with snipped chives, if desired.
Made for the Agents of QUEST 2014 and served as a starter course for a family dinner, this soup was superb! 1 guest was known to have a big appetite and there were 2 teenagers, so I wanted to be sure I had enough. I also wanted to lighten it as there was a heavy meal ahead. So I expanded it and lightened it. I accomplished both by using an amt = to the cream(s) amt of my homemade lobster stock and by doubling a mixed seafood blend of crab, baby shrimp and mussels. I did omit the salt as DH is salt-restricted, but I added Old Bay Seasoning which we favor in seafood soups. The economy of Iceland relies on seafood and I plan to rely on your recipe to showcase it. Thx for sharing this tasty soup recipe w/us.
This is so delicious and so easy to make! I used green onions instead of regular onions due to dietary issues, but it didn't change the wonderful flavor! I used fresh picked lump crab meat instead of canned. Rich and creamy! Thanks for sharing....made for Best of 2014 tag game on Yuku.
LOVE this recipe.. I just alter it a little. I add 2 cans of corn, a can of tiny shrimp, and a whole scallion right to the soup. I only use jumbo lump crab meat, and it is absolutely out of this world! Oh, and white pepper! That is my secret ingredient that everyone loves!!! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!!