I got this recipe from my mom. The sherry adds a wonderful flavor!! I've tried to get the right amounts for the ingredients. I always just put them together without exact measurements. Hopefully this is pretty darn close!
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 lb linguine, cooked per package directions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 slices American cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- salt and pepper (lots of pepper is what I like)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350*F. In saucepan, melt 2 TBSP butter. Add the flour and stir to thicken. Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper and sherry. Bring to boil, then stir continuously 3-5 minutes until a nice sauce forms. Add the cream, stir another 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken to the mixture, stir til warm and coated.
- Butter a 9x13 pan. Pour linquine into bottom of pan to cover it. Pour your chicken/sauce mixture over the top - spreading to cover the pasta. Dot the top with the rest of butter. Sprinkle parmesan on top. Put slices of American cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, 30-45 minutes, until top is browned and bubbling.
This is really good, I had to make a couple of substitutions only because it was what I had...so instead of liguine we had leftover spaghetti so that was used up and I had no whole chicken (and no time to cook one either) so I had 8 boneless skinless chicken steaks and zapped them in the microwave while the sauce was cooking then just chunked them in. I liked the cheese slices but next time I will use a combo of shredded cheddar and american as we are converted cheese heads (dont ask!) This was a great supper tonite with a salad and dessert...Thanx jovigirl for one the kids have requested again!