Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe was submitted by my friend Deborah Alanis to our Cal Fish and Game Cookbook, Wild and Wonderful Recipes II.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (17 ounce) can fruit cocktail in heavy syrup
- 2 1⁄3 cups baker's angel flake coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Combine the cake mix, fruit cocktail with syrup, 1 cup of coconut, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend and then beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Bring butter, sugar, and milk to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining coconut.
- Spoon over hot cake in pan.
- Serve warm or cold.
I did add the coconut to the batter but it out of the glaze. This is a very sweet cake, similar to something we used to do in high school. Everyone who's tasted it here gave it a thumbs up. Tried it plain then with a whipped topping garnished with a bit of canned fruit cocktail. Very good either way.