Recipe by Chef TraceyMae
This recipe was submitted by my friend Deborah Alanis to our Cal Fish and Game Cookbook, Wild and Wonderful Recipes II.
Top Review by Julie B's Hive
I did add the coconut to the batter but it out of the glaze. This is a very sweet cake, similar to something we used to do in high school. Everyone who's tasted it here gave it a thumbs up. Tried it plain then with a whipped topping garnished with a bit of canned fruit cocktail. Very good either way.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (17 ounce) can fruit cocktail in heavy syrup
- 2 1⁄3 cups baker's angel flake coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cake mix, fruit cocktail with syrup, 1 cup of coconut, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend and then beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Bring butter, sugar, and milk to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining coconut.
- Spoon over hot cake in pan.
- Serve warm or cold.