2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Jubal Harshaw's Note:
I originally found this recipe in Cuisine Magazine, but it's a lot of work and I cook it from memory now so it's not exactly the same recipe. Deboning is very labor intensive, so don't say I didn't warn you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 Cornish hens, deboned
- 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 4 cups cornbread, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms, quartered
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 3 tablespoons roux
- 2 cups stock
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1Rinse and cook wild rice to package instructions; set aside.
- 2Spread cubed cornbread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 3Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat for 4 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring after 2 minutes; set aside.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 5Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 6Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- 7Add mushrooms; cook for 3 more minutes stirring occasionally.
- 8Add rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and cooked rice; cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 9Stir in broth.
- 10Add pecans and toasted bread cubes; toss lightly.
- 11Stuff deboned Cornish Game Hens with stuffing.
- 12Truss deboned Cornish Game Hens with toothpicks and long skewers.
- 13Roast Cornish Game Hens in oven for 1 hour or until done.
- 14Making the sauce -- Whisk the stock and pomegranate juice into the roux to get a smooth mix and add the mushrooms.
- 15Bring the sauce to a low simmering boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- 16Strain to remove the mushrooms, add nutmeg, season to taste and serve over the game hens.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deboned and Stuffed Cornish Game Hens With Pomegranate Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.7
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 247.9 mg
- Sodium 508.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: