1/2 Photos of Debbie's German Apple Pancake
debbies dishes's Note:
I like to serve this on my Octoberfest Day, but it is requested more often than that. Very Special.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In a bowl, beat the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, half and half and eggs until smooth, then allow to stand for 15 minutes while you prepare apples.
- 3In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar.
- 4Add apple slices to skillet and cook until slightly tender about 5 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat. Rearrange apples in skillet to a single layer.
- 6Pour the egg mixture over the apple slices.
- 7Mix the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the batter in each pan.
- 8Bake until puffed, and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- 9Slice and serve warm with vanilla sauce.
- 10Vanilla Sauce:.
- 11Scald the half and half in a saucepan.
- 12Add in the sugar and a pinch of salt; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- 13Stir the cornstarch in the remaining 2 tablespoons COLD milk in a small cup.
- 14Stir it into the cream mixture and bring to a boil over low heat, whisking constantly.
- 15Continue boiling and whisking until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- 16Remove the pan from the heat and stir in butter, vanilla and nutmeg.
- 17Allow the sauce to cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Debbie's German Apple Pancake
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 605.4
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 219.9 mg
- Sodium 350.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 49.5 g
- Protein 9.8 g