Recipe by gardencookgma
This is one of my most requested recipes to bring to any get together. All of my grandkids love making this with me.....I usually double the recipe and use any leftovers for paninis. This is also great with my Bread Dipping Sauce.
Top Review by Katzen
Seriously yummy focaccia! I was a little concerned because the dough was very soft and sticky, but after kneading in some additional flour, it was fine. This is addictive to eat just as it is, but would be awesome to use to make a sandwich, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Spring '09.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (one pkg .25 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 2 3⁄4 cups unbleached flour
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium size bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 3/4 C warm water (110 degrees). Set aside for 15 minutes untl very foamy.
- Stir 1 cup flour into the yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and let this sponge proof in a warm place until tripled in volume and very bubbly, about 2 hours.
- Put sponge in bowl of Kitchenaid mixer, add remaining 1/2 C warm water, 2 Tbl. olive oil, 1/2 teaspoons regular salt, parmesan cheese and rosemary. Add remaining flour. Mix on speed 2 of mixer for 7 minutes.
- Oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, covered loosely with oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Sprinkle a half sheet pan with cornmeal. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface until about 1 inch thick. Place on sheet pan. Press out dough until about 3/4 inch thick. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise about 30 minute Use the tips of your fingers to make dimples in the dough. Pour remaining 4 Tbl. olive oil evenly over dough. Sprinkle kosher salt and pepper over dough.
- Bake in a preheated 475 degree oven for 20 minute or until golden brown,.