Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe is highly recommended! It's an excellent copycat of Portillo's Italian Beefs. Two important notes - do NOT substitute the Knorr Chicken Bouillon with another brand - you will not get the same results. And Yes, you want CHICKEN flavor. (Please note that the Italian Salad Dressing Mix package is .7 ounce, but this size wasn't recognized when I submitted the recipe; I'm sure it would turn out fine if the package is a little more or a little less.) Serve with Italian Rolls or French Bread and additional hot peppers for those who like spicer Italian Beefs. I prefer to use Hot Giardiniera Relish instead of hot peppers, but this wasn't recognized in RecipeZaar. The nutritional information doesn't include the rolls.
- 5 lbs chuck roast
- 3 3⁄4 teaspoons Knorr chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 ounce Italian salad dressing mix, Prepared as directed
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar, Use amount listed on salad dressing mix
- 3 tablespoons water, Use amount listed on salad dressing mix
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil, Use amount listed on salad dressing mix
- 3⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper, finely chopped
- Cut the meat into small cubes.
- Place the meat, bouillon granules, the finely chopped hot peppers, and garlic salt in the crock pot.
- Prepare the salad dressing as directed on the package (the amount of vinegar, water and oil may vary depending on the brand you use).
- Pour the salad dressing over the meat.
- Add enough water to cover the beef; stir to blend.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the beef from the broth placing it in a glass mixing bowl. Shred the beef with a fork and knife.
- Put the shredded beef back in the crock pot so it keeps warm and serve with the broth. Additional hot peppers can be served on the side for those that like it hotter.