Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from Just a Pinch.com; had to look up all the package weights online though as they just had "a package of Oreos" in the recipe. Looked too good to lose!
- 18 ounces Oreo cookies, regular size
- 8 ounces miniature Oreo cookies, for decoration
- 18 1⁄4 ounces chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cupcake liners
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix cake mix according to directions with the eggs, milk (instead of water) and oil. Set bowl of batter aside.
- Line cupcake tins with liner, place a regular size oreo cookie in the bottom of each one.
- Take 1/2 of remaining cookies and chop coarsely and add to cake batter. Fill the cupcake tins. Bake for 15 min (or according to box directions for cupcakes). While cupcakes are baking make the frosting.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla, then add powdered sugar slowly until blended well.
- Chop remaining regular-sized Oreos very fine. Stir into frosting.
- After cupcakes are cool, frost them and decorate with a few mini oreos on top.
This is a yummy recipe however I was disappointed in the presentation. I did not like the "dirty look" of the frosting. The next time I make them I will pulverize the oreos in the food processor then dip the top of the frosted cupcake then top with the mini oreo. I believe this will look much neater and organized. I will also omit the oreo placed in the bottom of the cupcake liner as well. I believe the cookie absorbing the moisture from the cake batter caused the cupcake itself to be a little dry.