1/4 Photos of Death by Chocolate Overdose Cake
2 hrs 30 mins
This cake provides the chocoholic with 4 different layers of chocolate goodness! I know the recipe looks difficult but it's well worth the effort. Bake the brownie and cake layers at the same time. While those are about halfway through the cooling time, start on the mousse. While the assembled cake is chilling, start on the ganache because it needs time to come to room temp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5/8 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into six pieces
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 7/8 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 7/8 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
chocolate mousse mix
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into 1/2-ounce pieces
- 1 7/8 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2For the Brownie Base Layer:.
- 3Cut parchment paper to fit bottom of a 9-inch springform pan & spray with cooking spray.
- 4Whisk to combine flour, salt, & baking powder in medium bowl; set aside.
- 5In microwave-safe bowl heat butter & chocolate on high for 45 seconds, then stir and heat for 30 seconds more. Stir again, if necessary, repeat in 15-second increments until melted; do not let chocolate burn.
- 6When chocolate mixture is smooth gradually whisk in sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisking after each until thoroughly combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture in two additions, folding with spatula until batter is completely smooth and mixed.
- 7Transfer batter to prepared pan; using a spatula to spread batter evenly and smooth. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 25-30 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 1 hour (do not remove the springform ring).
- 8For the Cake Layer:.
- 9Line bottom of 9-inch round cake pan with parchment & spray with cooking spray.
- 10Combine chocolate, cocoa powder, & hot water in a medium microwave-safe bowl & heat until melted; about 45 seconds. If needed, heat in additional 15 second intervals until melted. (Do not burn) Add 1/4 cup sugar to chocolate mixture and stir until thick and glossy, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 11Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Combine buttermilk and vanilla in small bowl and set aside.
- 12In bowl whisk eggs and yolks on medium-low speed until combined, about 10 seconds. Add remaining sugar, increase speed to high, and whisk until fluffy and lightened in color, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 13Add cooled chocolate mixture to egg/sugar mixture and mix on medium speed until thoroughly mixed, 30 to 45 seconds, scrape down sides of bowl with spatula as needed. Add softened butter 1T. at a time, mixing about 10 seconds after each addition. Add about 1/3 of flour mixture followed by 1/2 of buttermilk mixture, mixing until incorporated after each addition (about 15 seconds).
- 14Repeat using 1/2 of remaining flour mixture & all of remaining buttermilk mixture (batter may appear separated). Scrape down sides of bowl & add remaining flour mixture; mix at medium-low speed until batter is thoroughly combined, about 15 seconds. Remove bowl from mixer & fold batter once or twice with spatula to incorporate any remaining flour. Pour into prepared pan & smooth.
- 15Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few crumbs attached, about 30 - 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes, then invert onto wire rack and cool completely.
- 16Chocolate Mousse Filling:.
- 17Place stand mixer bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer or fridge.
- 18Chop the chocolate and place in medium bowl. Heat 1/2 cup of the heavy cream in microwave-safe cup until it begins to boil. Pour hot cream into bowl with chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth. Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- 19Once chocolate mixture is cooled, place remaining heavy cream(1 1/4 cup plus 2 T) and sugar in the well-chilled bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a well-chilled whisk attachment. Whisk on high until stiff peaks form, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- 20Gently fold in chocolate mixture with the whipped cream mixture.
- 22Heat the heavy cream and the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring to a boil.
- 23Place the chopped semisweet chocolate in a 3-quart stainless steel bowl. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Ganache should be brought to room temperature (about 40 minutes). There will be ganache left-over after icing cake. You could chill about 1 cup to use for additional decorating if desired.
- 24To Assemble:.
- 25Spread mousse over top of the brownie base evenly. Use an offset spatula or bench scraper to smooth the top.
- 26Place cake round over mousse, pressing down lightly. Chill for 1 hour.
- 27Remove springform ring and parchment collar. Use a spatula to smooth the room temperature ganache over the cake top and sides, covering evenly.
- 28Decorate with chocolate shavings on the sides if desired and with the additional chilled ganache if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Death by Chocolate Overdose Cake
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 923.3
- Calories from Fat 687
- Total Fat 76.4 g
- Saturated Fat 46.8 g
- Cholesterol 215.7 mg
- Sodium 318.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 14.7 g