Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
My fave chocolate cookie named after my fave chocolate shop in Vancouver, Canada.
- 2 (16 ounce) packages BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, divided
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coarsely chop 8 squares of the chocolate; set aside.
- Microwave remaining 8 squares of chocolate in large microwavable bowl on HIGH for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Stir in sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour and baking powder.
- Stir in reserved chopped chocolate and nuts.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls on to ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and feel set to the touch.
- Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
These cookies are great! I added about 2 tablespoons of orange peel and some orange extract to make Death By Chocolate Orange cookies. They were a little chewier than I thought they'd be, but they were good. They weren't overly sweet.
This is a rich, chocolate-y, not too sweet cookie. Wonderful! Just be careful reading the recipe--I thought it called for 2 16-oz packages of chocolate and not 2 8-oz packages. Thanks for a great recipe!
Oooh, Reelani, these are really GREAT! I made them for a departmental function and WOW, they disappeared really fast. I had to cook them a bit longer--more like 20 minutes--but that's probably my oven's fault. Thanks for a well-written, loveable recipe!