This recipe by Abigail Van Buren (aka Pauline Phillips) is published from time to time in her "Dear Abby" column. Jeanne Phillips, the original Abby's daughter, and the current "Dear Abby" adds this tip: The original recipe stated that the pie should be baked 45-50 minutes in a preheated 350 degree gas oven. If an electric oven is used, it may be necessary to add 15-20 minutes to the baking time. (Begin testing the pie with a toothpick after 45 minutes.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Sprinkle with pecan halves.
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes or until center is set.
- (Toothpick inserted in center will come out clean, when pie is done.).
- (If crust or pie appears to be getting too brown, cover with foil for the remaining baking time.).
- You can top it with a bit of whip cream if desired.
Pecan pie is my husband's favorite desert. I had been using a different recipe, only it didnt have brown sugar in it only corn syrup. He thought it was good but I felt it was just missing something. I found this recipe and tried it because it called for brown sugar. I made this for him for the first time on his bday and I was a little nervous since I had not tried this recipe out yet. This by far, was so much better than I could have expected!! This is IT! Just what I had been looking for!! I increased the cook time by about 12 minutes, the pecans tasted candied and the consistency was "sticky" just the way it is in New Orleans. I hadn't told my husband that I tried a different recipe, "did you do something different, this is so freakin' good" was his response...Enough said :)
Great pecan pie that isnt overly sweet like some pecan pies can be. Set up well while baking and so easy to put together. My DD requested pecan pie for our 4th of July get together and I am so happy she did. I used refrigerated pie crust and light brown sugar instead of dark. Also, used butter as I think that adds a nicer flavor than margarine would. Thank you for posting, a wonderful recipe!
I have used this pecan pie recipe for years. I've tried others and always come back to this one. It is a sure winner!