This recipe by Abigail Van Buren (aka Pauline Phillips) is published from time to time in her "Dear Abby" column. Jeanne Phillips, the original Abby's daughter, and the current "Dear Abby" adds this tip: The original recipe stated that the pie should be baked 45-50 minutes in a preheated 350 degree gas oven. If an electric oven is used, it may be necessary to add 15-20 minutes to the baking time. (Begin testing the pie with a toothpick after 45 minutes.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Sprinkle with pecan halves.
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes or until center is set.
- (Toothpick inserted in center will come out clean, when pie is done.).
- (If crust or pie appears to be getting too brown, cover with foil for the remaining baking time.).
- You can top it with a bit of whip cream if desired.