1/2 Photos of Dean's New Mexico Green Chile Stew
6 hrs 30 mins
Someone posted this on a forum I'm part of and I thought it looked good. Posting it here to share and make one day. He says "And no, this ain't no sissy chili verde"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 lb pork, diced to bite size
- 1 lb stewing beef, diced to bite size
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 large russet potatoes, diced to bite size
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 (7 ounce) cans Ortega green chilies, chopped
- jalapeno pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1Start by cutting up your meats, pork first. Then toss into pot to brown along with the cumin.
- 2Once you have all the meat in the pot browning, add the garlic and onion, After all your meats are browned sufficiently, remove from heat and drain.
- 3Transfer your meat to the slow cooker (or if you want to simmer all day continue with your stock pot.) add the chilies, taters and spices and enough water to cover it completely. Note: For slow cookers I put it on in the late evening (9-10 pm) and let it go slow all night and wake up to the smell of what is by far the best smelling stew you ever ate.
- 4For the cook all day stock pot route, simply heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft enough for eating. The jalapeños are optional and can be added at the end to kick it up or if you know spice, start with it.
- 5And yes you can calm it down with sour cream if you get too racy with yer chili.
- 6The taters pull a lot of heat out of the chilies as they cook, but if you went over the mark you can also add stewed tomatoes to your recipe if you like to calm it down too.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dean's New Mexico Green Chile Stew
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.7
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 166.3 mg
- Sodium 1173.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 58.5 g