Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3 cups cooked turkey (, leftover from roast turkey)
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can water
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 pinch dried thyme leaves
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 5 1⁄2 ounces packages pie crust mix
- 6 small white onions, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 large potatoes, peeled,cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 slices bacon, quartered
- 1⁄4 lb pork sausage, formed in 6 1-inch balls
- 1 (3 ounce) cansliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Set cubed turkey out of refrigerator, let come to room temperature.
- In medium saucepan, combine broth and soup can of watr.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, thyme, parsley and white wine.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat immer 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare pie crust as package label directs, refrigerate.
- Strain broth, mashing vegetables in a bowl.
- Return broth into saucepan.
- Add white onions, quartered carrot and potato, bring to boiling, reduce heat, cook until carrot is tender- about 20 minutes.
- At same time in large skillet cook slices bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels; pour off fat.
- Crumble bacon.
- In same skillet, cook sausage balls, turning until browned all over- about 15 minutes.
- Drain broth from vegetables in a 2-cup measure.
- Add enough water to make a 1-3/4 cups liquid.
- Pour back into ssaucepan, bring to boiling.
- Drain liquid from mushrooms into a 1-cup measure- add water to make 1/2 cup.
- Combine with flour in small bowl, stirring until smooth.
- Add slowly to boiling liquid stirring with a wire whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Turn vegetables into a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Add cut up turkey, sausage balls, drained mushrooms, chopped parsley and thickened sauce, stir just to combine.
- Top with bacon.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On lightly floured surface or pastry cloth, rll out pastry 1/2-inch larger all around than top oc casserole.
- Place on top of casserole turning edge under to seal around.
- Cut several steam vents on top.
- Brush lightly with egg.
- bake 30- 35 minutes, or until crust is golden and mixture is bubbly.
- Makes 5 to 6 servings.
This is the recipe I have been looking for. However, I will use chicken instead through out the year. Can't wait to serve this dish!!