Recipe by Johnney
It's all pretty easy and everyone who tastes it thinks it is outstanding, As with most things, this gets better and better with age.
- 2 (35 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes (drain off all liquid)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 3 -4 tablespoons italian seasoning (I prefer to add basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc. separately, but this is a good simple mixture)
- 2 dried chilies, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and garlic in oil over medium heat till onions are transparent.
- Add wine and let it reduce a bit.
- Add everything else and simmer uncovered. Minimum simmering time is 1 hour but I like to let it go for as many as 8.
- This should make about 1/2 gallon of sauce, but it will keep for some time (about 2 weeks in the refrigerator or may be frozen.
- Play around with the seasonings, the thing to remember is that a good pizza sauce by itself is quite spicy because it will be subdued by the other ingredients later.