1/7 Photos of Dazzling Winter Slaw - Red Cabbage, Apple and Pecan Salad
1 hr 15 mins
French Tart's Note:
A dazzling coleslaw salad for your winter festive table. Red cabbage is mixed with apples, carrots, pecans and onions which is then dressed with a tangy mustard and nut vinaigrette - fabulous! Plus, the colours as well as the taste, is amazing! This goes so well with cold cuts, pies, tarts, quiches, buffets as well as being a wonderful supper or light lunch accompaniment. I do all the shredding and grating in my food processor, it is so easy and cuts down on time. You can of course grate and shred by hand - it will just take a little longer! I sometimes add semi-dried cranberries and grated beetroot - these are listed as optional exras. The pie shown in the photograph, is my Little Jack Horner's Christmas Chicken, Fruit and Stuffing Pie!, which I often serve with this winter slaw salad - they make a wonderful combination. (This recipe was posted to our personal preferences - with a light dressing and not a creamy or heavy dressing; if you like your salads with more dressing - please adjust the dressing quantities up!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 medium red cabbage, finely shredded and outer leaves trimmed
- 2 green apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together in a jar - giving them all a good shake. The dressing can be made up to 2 days beforehand and stored in a cool place.
- 2Place all the prepared vegetables and the apple in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand.
- 3One hour before serving add the dressing and mix well, allowing the flavours to infuse together.
- 4Serve in an attractive serving bowl, sprinkling on the pecan nuts just before serving; give them a little mix, leaving some on top.
- 5This coleslaw can also be garnished with finely chopped parsley, for extra colour.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dazzling Winter Slaw - Red Cabbage, Apple and Pecan Salad
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.6
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 83.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar