Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love tomatoes and this dish sounds absolutely wonderful to me. It is taken from the Junior League of Dayton cookbook, "Causing A Stir". The recipe states that it is inspired by Dayton's favorite steakhouses and that it is terrific served with Filet Mignon, baked potatoes and a salad. I have a couple of T-bones in the freezer that are calling out for this recipe!
- 1 onion, small chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread cubes (dry, plain)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (light brown)
- 5 cups tomatoes, canned
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute onion in butter until soft, but not browned. Add bread cubes and brown sugar. Cook and stir over low heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased shallow casserole dish.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, top each serving with homemade croutons or drizzle plain bread cubes with melted butter, season as desired and bake 5 to 10 minutes.
Yep this is a true Steakhouse side and that is truly a Good thing! I made as written using home made whole wheat croutons and crushed can tomatoes, will be making this again and think I would like to try using fire roasted tomatoes. Thanks so much for the great side.