Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Taken off the internet, this is a wonderful way to preserve summer!
Make and share this Daylilly Buds, Spiced and Pickled recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse and drain unopened day lily buds; clip off any stem remnants.
- Put buds in a saucepan; add water barely to cover.
- Bring quickly to a boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- (At this point, the buds can also be served as a simple vegetable dish after adding salt, pepper, spices, etc.) Pack hot buds into 8 sterile half-pint canning jars.
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, salt, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves in a saucepan and bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes.
- Pour pickling solution over buds, distributing spices equally.
- Seal at once.
- Yield: 8 half-pints.
- Let these stand for a few weeks before using, to further develop the spicy flavor.
- Another thing you may do with them is to stuff them with ricotta cheese and serve them that way.
- Note: Don't harvest day lilies within 50 feet of roadways due to automobile emissions.
No stars because I haven't tried it yet, but man, I can't wait until next summer! I wish I had found this a month ago!!!!!