3 hrs 25 mins
A traditional Mexican bread courtesy of Progresso Tamales.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast (about 2 teaspoons)
- 6 eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange blossom water
- 7 ounces butter (not tub or spread product) or 7 ounces margarine (not tub or spread product)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- candy sprinkles
- 1Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- 2Mix in 1/2 cup flour.
- 3Leave mixture in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- 4Sift together dry ingredients (sugar, salt, flour and cinnamon).
- 5Add the remaining ingredients, but only half the butter. Now add the yeast dough and mix until it forms a thick, but not hard, dough.
- 6Knead dough until it no longer sticky, adding more flour if necessary.
- 7Place dough in a large greased bowl, turn dough over and cover it with a cloth.
- 8Let dough rise until it doubles in size.
- 9Punch down and lightly knead it again, gradually adding the rest of the butter.
- 10Divide the dough into three equal parts.
- 11Shape two parts into separate round loaves, using the third as sculptural decoration for loaves.
- 12Lightly cover and let loaves double in size.
- 13While dough is rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- 14Glaze with beaten egg yolks, if desired.
- 15Bake for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned.
- 16Sprinkle with sugar while warm.
- 17While loaves are cooling, mix confectioner's sugar with enough milk to get the consistency desired.
- 18When the loaves are cooled, decorate as desired with icing and other pastry confections to create skulls, flowers, birds or names of the deceased.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Day of the Dead Bread ( Pan De Muerto)
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.8
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 235.8 mg
- Sodium 136.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange blossom water