Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is my mother-in-law's tried and true recipe. It definitely is not healthy, but is so good. We like to have this on Christmas morning. Hey, once a year isn't going to hurt! The time to make includes overnight refrigeration.
- 1 lb sausage
- 8 slices bread
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper
- Cook, drain, and crumble the sausage.
- Trim crusts from bread and place 4 slices on bottom of 9 X 13 baking dish. You may need to cut the bread so all slices fit in the bottom of the dish.
- Mix cooked sausage with mustard and spread over the bread in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the sausage.
- Put the remaining 4 slices of bread over the cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over the bread.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, half-and-half, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and cayenne pepper. Beat lightly.
- Pour egg mixture over the assembled casserole.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove the foil and bake the casserole at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until fluffy and brown.